Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Friday 28 June 2019

Charging a VHF radio using portable power banks

Well, so far, things seem to be going well. If you have followed previous recent posts, I have been discussing the use of a solar panel charger and assorted power banks to charge on-board portable electronic devices such as tablet, mobile phone and various camera batteries.

The issue of using a 5v/2.4A output power bank to charge a 6V/0.6A VHF ICOM M-23 - troubled me but I think the issue has been resolved. I have been testing the 'MyVolts' 5V to 6V ripcord cable and so far on a limited test it seems to work. The radio is recharging, nothing is getting hot, nothing has gone puff in smoke.


I have yet to charge the radio from almost depleted. My radio has been left switched on for three days tuned to channel 14 Long-room in Plymouth and the battery icon still shows the three full bars!!


On Monday I am heading off to Salcombe for a couple of days with the hope of an overnighter either in Frogmore or Southpool creeks or up at Kingsbridge. During the trip the solar panel (Big Blue 28W) and the ripcord cable will get a fuller work out.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

good morning - just found your blog - I have restored a hurley signet 20 (ebay project...) and looking at electrics. Dont like the idea of lugging a big battery around - all I am powering is depth sounder (20ma) and recharge of handheld. So your cable info is super useful - I am thinking of getting a solar panel with controller that has a usb. Im based in Mylor - thank you Johnny

Unknown said...

Just sent this with my email address enabled

steve said...

always interested to see how people do electronics on their boat - let me know how you get on