Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Thursday 20 June 2019

Charging a VHF radio from a power bank

If you have been following blog posts during June 2019, you will know I am trying to power all my portable devices on Board Arwen from a series of portable power banks thus doing away the need to install a 12v system on the boat.

My ICOM M23 VHF handheld radio was a problem - the wall charger  provides an output of 6v 0.6A. My power bank provides 5v 2.4A.  It is clearly under-powered.


After some head scratching and research, a company 'MyVolts' may have provided a solution and I am about to test it out as the cables have finally arrived.



This ripcord cable will convert 5v to 6v and hopefully solve the charging issue.  It came with a dc barrel jack conversion kit as well. 

The company's website can be found here

Next week I am hoping to get out on the water for a couple of days and I will post back how I get on charging the radio overnight




No comments: