Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Monday 10 June 2019

charging your small electronic devices whilst dinghy cruising

Whilst waiting for the new 24W Big Blue solar panel to arrive, I am now turning attention to investigating whether I can establish a connection between my Powermonkey traveller and my ICOM M23.


The Big Blue 28W solar charger 


A 1.7mm x 4mm male barrel jack into the radio charge point

The 12v outport on the PowerMonkey Traveller uses a 1.7mm x 5.5mm male barrel jack. The power bank gives out 5v 700mA or DC 12v 0.8A. It is a 10,000 mAh capacity. It is quite old now and there are better integrated solar charger/power banks out there now. But, as always, I get sentimentally attached to pieces of equipment that have served me well and accompanied me on my travels. This power bank is one such piece.

The other power bank I use is an iMuto 20000mAh with two 5v/2.4A USB ports.

The VHF radio is charged by a 1.7mm x 4mm male barrel jack - the wall charger giving out 6v 0.6A. It has a 3.7v Li-ion battery 1500mAh.




I could just buy a spare radio battery - around £20 and charge both up before I leave home. Each battery will last around 10 hrs. So three days sailing possibly and then I could use my spare radio which takes AA batteries for the remainder of any trip - but that would chomp through batteries and I am trying to be sustainable here.

I am trying to avoid installing a 12v system in Arwen - instead spending money on items that will be used across a range of activities from climbing and camping trips to cycle  and canoe touring.  I have elaborated on these principles in previous recent posts.

I am no electrician but I am assuming that a USB cable with a male barrel jack on the end running from either power bank to the radio isn't going to charge it - power bank out put is 5v/2.4A and the radio input from its wall charger is 6v 0.6A.

So I need something to increase the 5v to 6v I am assuming.  I have been looking at something such as this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-voltage-converter-cable-negative/dp/B011LO5KJE/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?keywords=5v%2Busb%2Bto%2B6v&qid=1560249761&s=gateway&sr=8-14&th=1


This item is a 5v USB to 6v 1.05A converter with centre positive polarity (what is that?)
I have contacted the seller 'MyVolts' who are based in Dublin - asking for their help and advice as to whether this connecting cable will link the power banks and radio correctly and I await their answer.

I know the simplest solution is to put in a 12v system in my spare galley box with appropriate usb and cigarette sockets and possibly an inverter/converter affair. However, it is one more thing in Arwen and something that I cannot then use across my other outdoor activities.

But I'm not powering a bilge pump or a GPS/chartplotter. All I need to recharge are GoPro and camera batteries, my mobile phone, a tablet and the VHF radio. All except the latter also go with me when trekking, canoeing, camping, cycle touring and climbing. The Big Blue 28w solar charger recharges tablet, phone, batteries and power banks. It won't power charge the VHF.

I cannot be, surely, the only dinghy cruiser who doesn't want to install a 12v system but does want a flexible, sustainable approach to charging small electronic devices?

I will let you know what MyVolts come back with and what solution I find in my next post. 

6 comments:

Bob said...

Thanks for the article, Steve. I don't have as many devices to keep charge as you, but I have the same concerns...so, you are not the only dinghy cruiser concerning with how to keep the devices charged.

Bob
Gardens of Fenwick
A John Welsford Pathfinder

steve said...

Hi - Bob - hope you are well. Good to hear from you. I'm trying to keep it sustainable through using solar and also multi - purpose/ multi-use. I'm not against 12v systems but I just don't want to go down that route in Arwen.

Nick Vowles said...

Hi Steve,
I have just bought a fishfinder and am looking at ways to power it. I really don't want the volume and weight of a large lead acid 12 v system so am looking into a smaller lighter 12v lithium set up. Have you investigated this?
Thanks, Nick

steve said...

Hi Nick - how you doing? I haven't gone any further with 12v lithium cells. I can power charge VHF, mobile and all camera batteries using a combination of powerbanks and a solar charger. However, I am about to investigate installing a small electric bilge pump and i am thinking of using such batteries to power that. if you find out any further before i do - can you let me know?

Steve

Nick Vowles said...

Will do Steve,
Currently experimenting with 12v lithium ion batteries from bosch power tools...

steve said...

ooow.....that sounds realy interesting - yup - would e very interested on what you discover.