Follow his updates here. Grab a coffee or tea and get a comfy chair. Set aside some time. It is quite a read.
· Comes with 4K video, at 30fps/1440ps80/1080p120/4k30
· Waterproof to 10m
· a 2 inch touchscreen which accesses the settings,
· Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
· voice activation
· 12 MP photo/30 fps burst; time lapse;
· one button control
· longer life battery
· one button power up and immediate recording
· USB C port
· Two microphones – I think I read it may have three - so stereo at least
· Side located mode button
· Location capture
· Advanced wind noise reduction
· Video stabilisation
· Mic input
· RAW and WDR photographs
· Voice activated camera controls are fun
· Impressive video and image quality at 1080/60
· Easy to use GoPro Capture app for tethering to smartphone – really useful for framing shots and using from distance
· Rubberized outer shell makes it grippier
· Allows attachable filters for snorkelling and diving – useful
· Can use exposure controls for photos (but I don’t have that expertise….yet!)
· Ditto - The built-in spot metering
· Electronic image stabilisation is very useful
· Easy to understand menu system – based on swiping screen and touch
· Can use both top and side buttons together to change settings using small front screen when under water etc. This will be useful
· Can use up to 128mb SD micro cards - much better than my old Hero 2
· Being able to go to 5m at least in water without any bulky waterproof casing
· Good sound quality indoors
· Will wind noise affect my voice commands?
· Plastic mounting frame – how strong is it?
· Lack of protective waterproof case makes it feel fragile
· Will touch screen work when covered in water droplets? (I think you may need to lock screen before going near water so it doesn’t keep altering)
· EIS uses up battery juice rapidly; so does GPS, as I discovered within twenty minutes
· Can’t do GPS overlays to show speed or elevation etc. as video overlays - irritating!
· Recording lights are tiny and difficult to see so I suspect I will sometimes not realise whether I am recording or not
· How will managing settings be using touchscreen if camera is attached to helmet? Guess that is where Capture app comes in
· Doors are pretty stiff to open and took me a little time to work out
· Scratching the back screen is a concern (so I have ordered two screen protectors)
· Need to use the ‘bumper’ casing in order to use different mounts but then that is no different to having it in the old waterproof casing I guess
· I just wish they would come with manuals but that is just my ‘luddite’ tendencies escaping again
· "GoPro, stop time lapse"
· "GoPro, video mode"
· "GoPro, photo mode"
· "GoPro, time lapse mode"
· "GoPro, burst mode"
· "GoPro, turn off"
· "GoPro, start recording"
· "GoPro, highlight"
· "GoPro, stop recording"
· "GoPro, take a photo"
· "GoPro, shoot burst"
· "GoPro, start time lapse"
All text except for "quotations" and most, but not all photographs, on this site are:
© Copyright Steve Parke aka ‘Plymouthwelshboy’ www.arwensmeanderings.blogspot.co.uk 2009 on-wards
You are absolutely welcome to use either text or photos, with acknowledgement to my blog site, as long as it is for non-commercial purposes and you have contacted me for permission via my blog.