Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Monday 18 May 2020

Bits and pieces of maintenance

I've spent a pleasant afternoon doing odd bits and bobs on Arwen.  Firstly, I took some 'lock down' time to decorate Arwen's galley and food box tray/lids. I was using International Toplac burgundy paint and a child's watercolour brush.  The paint was gloopy and thick and dried quickly as I put it on. I guess they pass the 'from 10' ' test. 

Welsh dragon - obviously! 
The lighthouse and figure of Drake are part of my City's logo (Discover Plymouth)



I also sorted out the anchor buddy and got rid of the silly carbine clip they put on it. Now it has shackles. I will keep it looped with the anchor and clip it on as and when needed and it can now be put on either anchor as well. 


I stole this idea shameless from Tim, another navigator owner (hope you don't mind Tim). I have put a link to his video below which shows them in action. 'Them' are simple fender clips. Up to now, I have tied the fenders to the various coaming struts and this has been untidy and also limited me in where I can place them. Now the clips just hook under the coaming edge and I can place them anywhere. 


Cheap and cheerful made out of scrap ply



Tomorrow I will sort out what I carry on board Arwen and reconsider where I store it so that she is better balanced and trimmed. I want to try and free up one of the central locker areas for day sailing kit - food, ditty bag and foulies. I want to take weight out of the stern locker as well so that she rides better in following seas (given she has an outboard hanging off her transom!)

I will also try and work out a better rowing position and also secure the oars better so that they don't keep jumping out of the rowlocks

Postscript: 

One locker freed up for camera gear and food/drink. Rowing position wise, well in the past I have sat on the top of the centre case but this isn't working as well now that I have longer oars. However, I have discovered that kneeling astride the centre case top seems to be comfortable and might work better - so some experimentation required when I am back on the water. 

I've also managed to splice some loops into my mooring lines so that they fit over the bollards at Cotehele House (or anywhere else for that matter). It isn't the neatest splicing but they all seem secure. 


2 comments:

Cornish pete said...

Hi Steve, I was just reading your piece on position to row from with longer oars....just a thought , I grew up in Falmouth and can remember the tug crews coming ashore after a days work every man STANDING, facing forwards while he rowed ,the heavy punt with a long oar .Maybe worth a try?
Thank you for a great site .
I now live in the Bay of Islands in New Zealand, still trying to track down a Navigator to purchase !
Cheers
Cornish Pete

steve said...

Cornish Pete.....can you remember how they had their oars in the rollocks or pins? Im still trying to work out an arrangement. there were a couple of navigators for sale on trademe......sometime ago. if you are on Facebook - join the john welsford dinghy group - John often notifies the group if any boats of his design come up on trade me.