Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Saturday 2 May 2020

Well done Tohatsu UK

Well, it is confirmed. Tohatsu UK are sending out on Monday a brand new lower gear unit, free of charge to my home address - free postage as well. I can then fit the lower unit to my outboard.

That was the job I found most difficult to do when fitting the impeller last time as my video shows (see my YouTube channel or previous blog posts). It took me just under an hour to get the lower unit back in - but this time I am wiser and more experienced. So, hopefully it will go better!

Tohatsu have offered to fit it for free but that would have to be after lock down is lifted and then it may take a couple of weeks at a local dealer/service centre and they understand that I might want to get out on the water asap after the lock down is eased.

Upon fitting it myself, I then have to take the old unit to a local Tohatsu dealer that I didn't know about over at Mountbatten area and drop it off with them and they will get it returned to the national headquarters of Tohatsu UK.

I think that this is astonishing service from Tohatsu UK and Tohatsu Japan. My engine is out of warranty by 4 years and yet they have gone to this trouble to sort it out for me because the unit should never have passed their stringent quality control measures and it should have been picked up in the past by the people who sold it to me and the service engineers since, as I outlined in a previous post.

Speaks volumes about the people at Tohatsu UK who have dealt with this and about the company/brand as a whole.

Impressive, incredibly impressive.

Thank you Tohatsu. Much appreciated. 

3 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Blimey! Well done Tohatsu!!

Wayne Johnson said...

Good for them! It is always good to hear about a company that chooses to make things right.

I am glad you were able to find the cause of the blocked hole. The idea of relying on an engine with a known defect is not comforting. We want to keep reading your adventures for a good while longer.

God bless!
Wayne

steve said...

Very well done Tohatsu!!
Thanks Wayne - I have to say I am very relieved!! Thanks for your support - appreciated.