Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Saturday 9 May 2020

Noooooooooo!

Nooooooo. Don't make me take off the manifold!

I don't want to do it........I'm no good at engineering........I can't do this.......... its going to end in disaster........................NOOOOOOOOO!

I mean what is this bit - its attached to the manifold top?
And the manifold won't come out without this bit attached!
Seriously who does this design wise?

That just looks way too complicated - all those wires - something to do with the carburettor and choke.
I'll never get this back in  - it will never work again!

I mean seriously, no seriously, how do you disassemble this?

OK  time to take thousands of pictures to piece it back together again in a fortnight's time 

Please God, don't let me have to re-tension these

So, to lift out the manifold, I have to un-attach this...........ugh!

Right, don't drop anything down that hole - cover it over now

OK - now to take out that bolt!
Please don't let anything drop off or spring out of it.

OK, so under wraps - one carburettor; one petrol tank and support base; assorted bolts, washers and collars
The cable pulley mechanism is back reattached and bound in paper towel and masking tape so nothing works loose.

I have no idea how to store a carburettor for two weeks other than allow no dust in it?

Frankly, I think we can all agree, it will be a miracle if this engine, once reassembled, ever starts again. I wonder how much a new carb is.....?

In the meantime, thank you Paul for being a knight in shining armour and riding to my rescue!


9 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Well done.. fascinating stuff... those cables look like standard bike brake cables... You begin to understand that hundred quid odd is not a lot really for an outboard service... I price my own time at 20 quid an hour... ! :o)

There was a chap talking about reconditioned carb's (good as new) on the YBW forum the other day, Honda rather than Tohatsu, but the gist was forty odd pounds complete... but you won't need it, it will run sweet as a nut..

Alden Smith said...

Bloody hell - talk about a man of faith; in your own abilities, and all power to you I say - Me? I would have crumbled at the first sight and taken the motor to an outboard mechanic with 1000 years experience (In NZ with a complete shutdown of everything that would mean a long wait but needs must in these difficult times).

Your description of undoing things and bits popping out and flying everywhere bought back some very bad memories (a spring that I never found and a nut left over after everything had been put back together ahhhhhhhh).

I hope it all goes well and may the force be with you.

Wayne Johnson said...

Steve:

Looking at a parts diagram for that engine, the cable mechanism you are seeing is the throttle linkage. It looks like a pull-pull mechanism transitioning from the twist throttle to the carb. One of the cables will tighten when you advance the throttle, the other will tighten when you retard the throttle. The rigid linkage should actually connect to the throttle butterfly.

As far as tensioning when you re-install things, don't worry too much.If there is too much slop in the throttle, tighten one of the cables a little. If things are binding, loosen them a bit.

Best of luck!
God bless!
Wayne

steve said...

Steve, Alden, your faith in my abilities is wonderful - thank you! Wish I had the same faith. Steve, you are right - £120 for an annual service doesn't seem much and in future I will probably get it done professionally. On the other hand, I have been fleeced by the people who sold it to me originally and then by the same company who have serviced it the last four or five years as none of them told me about the gear lube hole issue and the quality control mistake. So, I need to find a more honest service team - Tohatsu UK may have inadvertently put me in touch with a local one I didn't know existed. I will meet up with them in a few weeks when lock down is lifted and sound the out. Alden - thanks for your encouragement.

Wayne, you are a spooky man - I was just looking at the parts diagram earlier and working out what the wires did. It looks similar to something on a
Vespa I once restored and so I'm sort of familiar with the principles. I am hoping that I got this right when I wrapped it up and secured it in paper towel and masking tape (so that nothing would pop off).

I'll let you all know how it goes in a couple of weeks time - thanks for all the encouragement and advice guys - most deeply appreciated - thank you

Wayne Johnson said...

Steve:

The Vespa linkage is probably very similar indeed. The reason for using two cables is that a cable is much more positive when being pulled than when being pushed. In this case, one of the cables is always pulling.

I am sure you will do fine putting it together. Take your time and don't panic. You are almost there.

God bless!
Wayne

steve said...

Thanks Wayne - as long as I dont get them the wrong way around...hahaha. you take care now - stay safe and well

Wayne Johnson said...

If you get them reversed, the throttle just operate backwards (faster and slower will be reversed). You would spot that very quickly in bucket testing.

Wayne Johnson said...

You will be fine, Steve. If you reverse the cables, the throttle action will be reversed (slow will be fast and vise-versa). When you test it in a bucket, this will be very clearly obvious. At that point, you will think some choice words, fix it and all will be well. Otherwise, all will be well the first time.

Best regards!
Wayne

steve said...

You are a good man Wayne, thanks for the positivity and encouragement. You take care now.