Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Friday 14 August 2020

Dinghy Cruising Association Bulletin

 This is an excellent small boat magazine full of interesting articles, ranging from book and equipment reviews to rally reports, in-depth articles about a range of topics from historical research about small boats to voyage accounts, fitting out boats, anchoring techniques, sail configurations and much more beside. An encyclopedia of knowledge about dinghy cruising but also on occasions about old historic boat designs. 

I particularly enjoyed the articles on cruising the rivers Lynher and Tamar and getting to know your standing lug rig yawl in the most recent publications. Written by an idiot but reasonably entertaining I guess. At least he hasn't killed or endangered anyone.....yet 🙄😁

If you are into dinghy cruising I would heartily recommend joining the DCA whether you live in UK or not. The bulletin is excellent value for money......well I think so. 

 







6 comments:

Rik_Studio said...

I read the loong articles in the dca journal. Wonderful read.

steve said...

Yeah sorry - were rather long - working on that conciseness thingy still - could do it in educational journals but it has somehow deserted me now in my hour of need - ho hum!

Rik_Studio said...

Apologies not necessary at all Steve. This is the thing we love to do so no words should be spared and splurging is allowed.
I did lose the summer edition to the ocean last week. A reprinted will be requested today. Don't want to miss one in my collection.

steve said...

I intend to get it better and more concise should there ever be another time :)

Matt’s Navigator said...

Very enjoyable articles Steve, can’t wait to get on the water myself.

steve said...

Thanks Matt