Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Thursday 5 May 2011

I almost went sailing at the weekend...

........but was rather glad I didn't. A stroll around Plymouth Hoe foreshore showed me the angriest looking Plymouth Sound I can remember in a long time.


a wild white horses seascape

Sunday, we had some belting winds! 35 kts gusting at times to 40 kts and yet bizarrely sunshine and really warm temperature. We found a sheltered spot at the Hoe Cafe and it was really warm and pleasant out of the wind!


which got gradually worse

I'm pretty sure that Arwen would have survived the onslaught but I would have been incapable of keeping her upright! Jib and mizzen would have been too much sail I suspect! Sometimes its best just to chill out, find a good spot and enjoy a good book, latte and sunshine!




even the barge was having trouble


we sought sheltered walks and discovered this hidden gem - a walk around west hoe which had models made out of metal of all the Devonport based naval ships - part of the south west coastal path


lovely clinker dinghy


the seagulls were having a difficult time flying into the headwind


this wise bird decided to shelter behind some stone steps in the Barbican!

In the meantime, with a little indirect prompting from a discussion on John's Yahoo forum, I have one alteration to make to Arwen's rig. The parrel beads I use to secure lower tack of sail to the mast - I tie on each time. I'm going to convert it to a toggle in a rope loop which also passes through the tack hole and then the toggle fits through a loop in the other rope end. much quicker and more sensible.

Steve

No comments: