Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Saturday 12 March 2011

my sympathies go out

...................to all those affected by the earthquake in Japan.
I'm an early bird - I start my school day at 6.30am in my classroom; I finish late on Friday's and am asleep by 9.30pm so never get to hear the news. I've just been watching the horrific images on BBC news. With a sister who has lived the last ten years in Japan, I am very thankful she is currently at home visiting us all here in the UK; my brother living in Christchurch New Zealand, is still trying to pick up pieces of his life although he and his family were fortunate unlike so many others.

I teach geography - that is my passion and I believe every child should study the subject so that they can understand and put into context the various facets of the world in which they live.  I cannot recall ever seeing two whirlpools forming out at sea before; I certainly can't recall an 8.9 quake before and I know, if my memory serves me right, that the vast majority of Japanese live on the coast due to a mountainous interior.

My sister got married here in the UK last summer and it was a wonderful day. The following day all her Japanese friends who had come across for the wedding came to a BBQ hosted by my other sister and my brother-in-law. I found my sister's Japanese friends to be wonderful people - lively, intelligent, good humoured, well travelled, full of integrity, curiosity and charm. I know that she has loved living in Japan for a decade. My heartfelt sympathies go out to all in that nation - the twin devastation of a quake and a tsunami must be just completely overwhelming........and it is reporting live on the news now that the nation has just declared a nuclear emergency with one of their nuclear reactors about to go critical. 50,000 people are being evacuated from a 6 mile radius around the plant as I write this.

My thoughts are with all people around the pacific rim at this moment - the devastation you have all suffered in the Queensland floods, the Christchurch quake and now this Pacific tsunami and Japanese quake are awful.  I know our local charity 'Shelterbox UK' are in full rescue mode and that rescue boxes are on their way to you as we speak. 


Shelter boxes arriving from Cornwall during the November 2011 Colombian Floods


The contents of one shelter box help protect and shelter 10 people
My tutor group in school last year raised enough money to pay for one of these boxes and
we will attempt to do the same again this year


A family safely sheltered after losing everything in the Peruvian floods in 2011


'Shelterbox UK' - doing what it does best
all photographs: copyright Shelterbox UK, Helston, Cornwall

If you want to help and are wondering how, may I tactfully suggest that perhaps a donation to them would be worthwhile. This is their website address http://www.shelterbox.org/  and they have 18 international affiliates. There will be very many homeless people in the next few weeks around the coast of much of Japan.............Shelterbox UK will at least help give them temporary, safe, shelters and cooking equipment until the nation can get itself back on its feet and help all those people.

Steve

No comments: