Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Saturday 8 December 2018

New travel kit

I've written before about the film kit that I take on cruises with Arwen. Recently though, someone asked me about what travel photography kit I carry on my travels.

Well this set me pondering. I am no photographer and in fact I have just put myself on a digital DSLR photography beginners course in January after buying a new entry level DSLR camera - a canon EOS 800D

So what's in the travel bag, ready for our forthcoming Europe trip (which is still in its planning phase but is slowly coming together)?


  • a lightweight amazon basics 50" tripod, a small 10" high tripod and another flexible bendy leg tripod
  • if travelling abroad, my lightweight dell laptop or my Samsung 7" Galaxy tab
  • small portable battery pack
  • Zoom H1 microphone with windmuff
  • canon EOS 800D with 18 - 55mm zoom and 55 - 250 zoom lenses, each with protective filter lenses
  • spare batteries for above
  • manual and quick guide for above camera
  • remote control for EOS 800D
  • cleaning kit 
  • selfie stick bluetooth
  • note book
  • penknife
  • green kneeling matt
  • two GoPro Hero 5 blacks with spare batteries
  • two selfie sticks for GoPro's
  • assorted GoPro clips and fittings
  • egg timer for time-lapse on GoPro's
  • spare memory cards 
  • lightweight ear buds
All of this gear sounds a lot but actually doesn't weigh much. It gets carried in my photography rucksac which still has enough room for waterproof and flask. 



And why the sudden interest in digital photography?
I was disappointed with my photographs from our recent China expedition and I realised I need to learn far more about the basics of photography. I will never be a good photographer but learning the basics to take better photos for blog and future magazine articles will help enormously. 

the new camera will be coming with me when I attend a travel show next year where I have signed up to workshops on vlogging travel videos, taking better travel photos and writing for travel magazines


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The best way is to take a lot more photos and just keep the good ones (seriously). I find video editing a lot harder!

steve said...

I am doing that slowly 🙂