Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my new blog. My name is Steve and i am the lucky owner of a John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. I built her over three years with the help of my father, father-in-law and two children. She was launched in August 2007 at Queen Anne's battery marina in the barbican area of Plymouth. This blog is a record of our voyages together around SW England.
Arwen has a YouTube channel of her own. Search "plymouthwelshboy".






Sunday, 27 March 2016

Troublesome outboard

it kept cutting out when I tried to accelerate on Friday so I am worried. It would chug along happily at just above idle speed. So tomorrow I am testing it in the big bin. I have a hunch that it is to do with position on the transom and that will also be checked as well. It should be 30 - 50 cm below the boat hull bottom and I have a feeling mine is much lower! Ho hum, things to sort.

5 comments:

Stuart said...

Might also be a dirty carburretor or filter. Possibly a split in a fuel line? No doubt you'll find the fault with your experience!
Stuart

mlc said...

I don't know what outboard you have, but it has a filter somewhere. Check to see if it is partially clogged, throttling the fuel flow. I doubt that the problem is the position on the transom.

steve said...

I think it may be worse
There is no water coming out from the water outlet which suggests something is blocked somewhere
Hey ho!
Thanks for the tips Stuart

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Just to rule it out,and as the symptoms sound exactly the same as I was getting, I would suggest changing the plug for a new one...

steve said...

Cheers steve will do