Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Friday 4 September 2015

Last Saturday's sail

Was fun. Particularly fun because I spent considerable time sailing Arwen without adjusting tiller. I'm beginning to get the hang of balancing jib, Mizzen and main. Now I can move forward without upsetting the balance of the boat, well more than I used to be able to. I can alter direction in small shifts from such a position by tugging one jib sheet or other to keep on a general heading. Food can be eaten at leisure without constant recourse to tiller controls. Arwen sails herself rather well when her skipper has worked things out.

Finally I'm beginning to grasp the dark arts of sailing. About time too I hear some folk say. Ah well says I, some of us are slow learners, but we get there in the end!!

5 comments:

Joel Bergen said...

Ah you're a much better sailor than you give yourself credit Steve. A question for you my friend: Have you ever considered sailing across the channel to France, or is that too risky in a small boat?

steve said...

Um.....kind but this man,has yet to sail up to and off a beach. On the other hand. Rowing is getting better and I can sail off an anchor too.
I don't,have heavy weather organisation experience to sail channel. Lots of dinghy cruising association have and regularly done so
You'd like dinghy cruisers look them up on Facebook...eccentric British at our very best
The channel is busiest,stretch of water in world in terms ofshipping lanes
You really need to onow your stuff. Over here people think I am bonkers sailing 30 miles along our open coastline which is invariably a lee shore
Great picture of u an ellie by way on Facebook welsford pages

Bursledon Blogger said...

Steve, the reason people "think your bonkers sailing 30 miles along the coast" is because they don't know what they're talking about.

I remember fueling up at Marina Key in the virgin islands, the manager asked me where we were going and I said England - he said in horror "in that?" "That" was our yacht which had sailed us all the way there from England by way of west africa.

the fact of the matter is there are very few people who actually know, and they are the ones like you who go out and do it, gaining experience little by little, learning the lessons and gaining confidence through doing so.

Joel's right you're a much better sailor than you think, nd frankly crossing the channel is overrated, now going out to the Scilly Islands now that's another story.....

Max

Alastair said...

The question of sailing across the channel does not concern risk so much as boredom. As a wise man once said "what is the point of owning a boat like ours if you don't put it on the ferry?"

Similarly, I wouldn't coast hop to Scotland I would cruise at 60mph up the motorway.

However the DCA is holding a rally at Salcombe next weekend. Will we see you there Steve?

steve said...

Crossing the channel on the ferry........ha! Good point
DCA rally, yes, it would be nice to get there, I'll try and clear all school work and preparation for next week and week after during this week so with luck I won't need to exit early on Sunday

Max, as always, right with words of wisdom