Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my new blog. My name is Steve and i am the lucky owner of a John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. I built her over three years with the help of my father, father-in-law and two children. She was launched in August 2007 at Queen Anne's battery marina in the barbican area of Plymouth. This blog is a record of our voyages together around SW England.
Arwen has a YouTube channel of her own. Search "plymouthwelshboy".






Saturday, 29 March 2014

New hatches and bits

The inspection hatches in each centre thwart have warped over the years and had become buckled. So I've been watching the cost of inspection hatches; and when they dropped in a sale to £15 I decided it was time to buy two. They didn't quite fit so some jigsaw artistry had to be done but eventually the port one dropped into place.


 I also, as a result of it being that little bit bigger, had to relocate a cleat to the side of the centre case. It is the cleat for the mainsail downhaul. The centre board sheet cleat was placed on a new wooden block to give it some more 'down angle' so that it is easier to cam cleat and un-cleat the sheet. The plastic holder of the compass also got repaired (it snapped when I fell against it recently).

if anyone has some bright ideas about how to get that small cam cleat off then I am all ears; the screws seem to have rusted into blobs so there is no thread to attach....bizarre

Access to the starboard side was somewhat restricted by hedges so the fitting of that hatch will be next week's little job. Its nice pottering on Arwen and my lovely family give me some space at the weekends for such tasks.

No comments: