Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Saturday 22 February 2014

How long does it take to rig a navigator?

As the fine weather approaches....it is an interesting point. And Joel, across the big pond, has been doing some research using a video. His navigator 'Ellie' is a lovely example of craftsmanship. Read and see more about what he discovered at
http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/
navigator-setup-times.html

Steve

4 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

I often ask the same question about our Cornish Cormorant - with free standing mast - so no standing rigging and one sail should be really quick. Normally takes about 3/4 hour, people come to chat, finding something that dropped out of the sail bag, trip to the shop for emergency supplies Mars bar etc.

steve said...

Yup. If left alone Arwen can be rigged in 25 minutes from towing arrival. The time is lost getting gates opened at marina, storing the trailer, parking the car, paying the launch fee.......all that takes 20 ,minutes!

I'm always looking to see how I can shorten time and this year I'm wondering if I can collapse the mast but leave most of the rigging in place.......might just be possible.

I also want to change the main sheet. I have a 12mm main sheet cos that was rope I had surplus at the moment of rigging. I think it is way too big...so I was thinking 8mm......would that be appropriate or is that too small for a main sheet on a main sail of Arwen's size?

Steve

Tim said...

Hi Steve,

Yep...on a good day, by myself, I can pull in to the launch lot and be on the water in about 25 min. The excitement of getting on the water motivates. I am looking to change my shroud attachments this spring, playing with some ideas that will make it possible to adjust tension on the fly. I have a couple ideas floating around, including your solution. I'm thinking that might make rigging a bit easier then my current set up.

steve said...

Hi tim
Let me know what you go with

Steve