Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Wednesday 30 October 2013

Wooden blocks for centreboard

Managed to finish them only to discover that I had made the centre pieces just a little too wide so that the sheaves move about slightly. Only seems to be a problem on one! There is always one!! On this sheave, the moment there is any slack, off jumps the rope and it manages to wedge itself between sheave and block casing.

Why do I have this complete inability to measure anything accurately? For pity sake my old man's a precision engineer and he never has this problem. Clearly inherited my inability to measure accurately from my mother.......well it must have come from somewhere if not her...who?

Oh my. What if this mathematical inability has actually started its evolution with me? And I've passed it genetically to my kids? Nah. They both got a's and b's at GCSE.........it must be inherited from my mother and its stopped its genetic transfer at me. Phew! Crisis over!

Steve

No comments: