Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Saturday 14 September 2013

Nerve wracking sailing in Salcombe


Nerve wracking. Soooo many moorings to pass through; a north wind straight down the channel from Kingsbridge and constant tacking. And several emergency crash gybes when the wind shifted.....and oh boy did it shift all day from north west to north east; from north east to west.........within seconds sometimes.



It was an excellent day all things considered. The boat park attendant was very helpful, informed and courteous. A very likeable gentleman with a tricky job since I suspect that not all ramp users are as considerate as you might hope for. Speaking from what I saw today......just minor irritating behaviour - a sort of  'we are alright Jack, never mind you pal'.




Only one close encounter with a boat - too close and I escaped in very lucky circumstances. Lets just say if the boat had had a bowsprit I would have be skewered and as it was Arwen's sail brushed over the front of the bow hung anchor......as I said too close .....but again one of those shifting wind situations in which I had nowhere really to go.





Lots of superb Salcombe yawls out and on the water. What graceful boats. A terrible stereotype but many seemed to be crewed by lawyer, banker or doctor looking types; as I said an awful stereotype and so I apologise unreservedly to all Salcombe yawl owners. Did make me chuckle though.

 

 
The water was busy in a nice way. Lots of youth groups doing Saturday morning sailing in lasers, picos and toppers; some very talented youngsters out there. The Kingsbridge - Salcombe little ferry boat plied up and down the river as did the water taxi and East Portlemouth ferry.




I started the day with a stop off at the new Whitestrand pontoon getting a take away coffee from Captain Morgan's, along with a rather tasty bacon sarnie. Sat on the pontoon sides and watched the world go by; very nice. Then pottered up river under motor towards the first creek where I raised sails. Cormorants sat on mooring buoys soaking up the sun. Some of them looked really young.



And the highlight of the day? I sailed up to a pontoon......four times and apart from the first attempt, each went perfectly.......just turning up into the wind at the last moment so that Arwen gently kissed alongside. It did help that the pontoon was aligned north - south so that the wind blew straight along it....but its the first time I've done it so I'll take the advantages offered.




A good day and much needed. It has been a tough week and I needed some 'me-time' for a few hours.
The next sails though I'd quite like some company....my daughter for a start and my good friend, who has been slightly unwell but is on the mend. Both are excellent company and sailing should be with good people who's company you enjoy. Hopefully the weather will break in the next few weeks to give us another sunny Saturday.

 
Steve

2 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

Looks like a great day's sailing.

You should come and do Bursledon regatta next year, the dinghies do a "drag race" down the river and back, winds shift all over the place oh and there's 3500 boats on moorings to get in the way, plus more than a few moving about on a Saturday morning.

steve said...

,,,,,,*#!!*

I have enough problems as a novice sailor so that's why there is relative safety in the wide expanse of plymouth sound. God forbid that I come and cause serious havoc in your neck of the woods.........not if you still want to live there ....any association with me and the chaos I could cause should lose you friends rapidly!

It was a good learning curve actually and although I am approaching my 100th outing on Arwen, I still regard myself as a novice sailor...........I wonder how many hours experience you need before. You are no longer a novice but fairly competent?
Now there is a discussion to have
Hope you are well

Steve