Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Friday 19 July 2013

My little girl.....

Isn't so little any more! However, she continues to make her old grey haired dad very proud. Yesterday we attended her graduation ceremony and she was resplendent in black gown and grey silk hood. Bought tears to her old man's eyes!
My daughter, a scientist and fully fledged conservationist being encouraged by her tutor to do a doctorate. I cannot begin to describe how proud I am of her and all the sheer gutsy hard work she has put in over the last several years to achieve this recognition.

I always aspired to do a doctorate.......now I am facing stiff potential competition not only from my wonderfully intelligent wife, but now from my daughter as well. No pressure then!

And then there is my son, whose knowledge of and passion for history and politics never ceases to amaze  and delight me; and whose leadership qualities at school shine through. I am as equally immensely proud of him and his time at university will come, although in what field, I could not at this time say.

Congratulations to all those who have graduated this year, wherever and in whatever field it may be. Go out now with your degrees and start pushing on the doors of life. Push hard enough and your doors will open to endless possibilities. Remember to use your knowledge to good effect, to benefit people and our wonderful planet. And in whatever field you go into, do it well, with confidence and pride; support and encourage those around you to excel and never ever stop learning.

I salute you all......well done to you all.

Steve

4 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

Congratulations Steve and well said

steve said...

Thanks bb
I take it Iceland was fun and worth visiting?
Steve

Bursledon Blogger said...

Yes definitely a place to visit. We had a house which was nice, but given the scale of the place next time I'll rent a campervan and drive around as much of the country as possible. there are loads of nice camp sites, the one close to use was at the head of the fjord with views to die for.
Max

steve said...

Glad you enjoyed it max
I sense a geography as level fieldwork residential visit creeping up on me!
Steve