Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Monday 1 August 2011

some milestones............

I was updating my RYA sailing log this morning and discovered some milestones had passed me by recently. Firstly I've clocked up over 220hrs sailing in Arwen over the last four years. I read somewhere that to become an expert in anything it needs 10,000 hrs......so I'm still a relative novice then!



I have launched 40 times from QAB and with car park fee included with the launch fee, this has totalled around £720. Across four years, this works out at £180 per year. Sailing wise, its around 45 - 50 hrs per year. I don't do much sailing in winter I must confess. sailing Arwen in force 6+ just doesn't seem sensible really.



It is a lot of money but not when you think it would cost this just to have Arwen stored at QAB for a year. There are few useable launch sites around Plymouth - if you are single handed!! The great slips at mountbatten, elphinstone etc all have good ramps but one small problem - nothing to tie a boat up to whilst you move the car and trailer to a car park up to 100m away - great if sailing with someone; definitely an issue if a single hander!  Anyway, launching at QAB has its advantages - friendly and knowledgeable staff, great facilities, a ramp accessible at all states of tide except extreme spring low tides; easy car parking. Frankly, it is worth it!




The highest wind we've sailed in together is a force 7/8 (accidental not by design I hasten to add - see my old post about sailing to Salcombe and back last august!!).  Arwen's fastest speed has been a staggering 6.8 kts - seriously - the GPS lied not!  The greatest distance sailed in one day has been 26 nm. The greatest number of people inside Arwen? Six!  The most memorable experiences together? Where would I start when there have been so many!  I guess her maiden voyage accompanied by a large heavily scarred bottlenose dolphin is up there; as is the dolphin encounter this year. A day out with my kids over to Cawsand would also slip into the top five along with a great trip once with mum and dad too. Also in there is any trip with my daughter and also Sunday's trip with my good friend Dave. Yep I think these make my top five or six trips.

So what's coming up in the next few weeks? Well after last week's test sail up to the Lynher, there is a possible trip up to Calstock and overnight camp with dad as VIP guest.  I'm in the middle of passage planning a possible Fowey sail (a biggy - 28 nm each way)

I'll keep  you posted of course!

Steve

No comments: