Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Wednesday 3 August 2011

initial plans for the Fowey trip

I’ve been doing some initial pre-planning for my possible trip down the coast to Fowey. I haven’t got a date yet and I need to check tides and tidal streams along the coast. I have however, plotted a rough course with distances, magnetic bearings, dead reckoning timings and possible transect points.




My initial thought is one day sailing down, overnight and one day sailing back. If I can persuade the family to give me parole for three days, then I could spend a day sailing up the river Fowey as well.

If things aren’t going well – then I can call in and overnight at Looe or at Polperro instead. I would need to make a decision as to whether to continue or not after rounding Rame Head because after the QR buoy, I’d be committed to heading for Looe!!


Leg 1 western breakwater to Rame Head

Now Arwen does an average speed of 3kts in force 3 winds if I was close hauled. So that’s roughly 3 nm in an hour, 1 nm in 20 minutes not taking into account tides, currents, streams etc. I navigate along the coast using a combination of OS maps and admiralty charts. I mark all the calculations in chinagraph pencil on the chart and only adapt them if the first few prove to be wrong. I keep a half hourly log and regular ‘timing’ checks via transects to distinctive shore marks en route. I have a ‘sailing route card planner’ with all the details of the trip on it as well. You can find my passage planner outline card here at this old post http://arwensmeanderings.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html

Leg 2 along Whitsand Bay


Leg 3 Portwrinkle to Seaton




 
Leg 4 Seaton to Looe Island


Leg 5 Looe Island, past Polperro


Leg 6 Polperro to Fowey

below is the draft passage plan initial details. Still lots to add in and work out.

Steve

No comments: