Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Sunday 13 February 2011

I managed to get the gunwales finished yesterday. We had a whole day of sunshine – temperatures around 10C; birds were singing; the daffodils are poking through; crocuses are out – all signs that spring is definitely on its way. The blackbirds are out in force – different pairs challenging each other for supremacy in the back garden...we had 4 pairs of blackbirds last year all nesting within 5m of the house! It made putting the rubbish out in the bin something like a scene out of ‘Hitchcock’s film ‘The birds.


Anyway, Gunwales are done – there was a lot of scrapping and sanding; the finish isn’t as smooth as it was when I did them first using the router......but it will do. I’m not one of these ‘terribly proud about pristine varnish’ types. I prefer to be out there sailing and let’s face it the gunwales constantly get a bashing even when I’m using fenders. Arwen seems to float at a height just level with the underneath of the pontoon platforms in this area – so there are the odd gouges!


removing fairleads to seal underneath

I managed to run her partly down the drive giving all around access. Visual inspection shows quite a bit of cosmetic work needs to be done over the forthcoming half term. She needs a good hull clean – it’s slightly greyish tinged in places. That needs to be scrubbed off with ‘Cif’ cleaner and then polished with some wax. The mould needs to be scrubbed off with a soft scourers and ‘Cif’ (better buy shares in this company now!). That will take two hours I guess. There are some nasty paint cracks and dings which I missed before putting her away in October and they need scraping back and repainting.


from high up you can better appreciate her lovely lines

I removed the cleats when doing the gunwales and I’ve discovered that the sealant I bedded them in – one lot seems to have decayed. It allowed water into the deck area immediately below and that is horribly damp – so that needs scraping out, filling and repainting over – another half day Job. The mast does need looking at – there are dings where the top yard slams against it on occasions. The varnish has disappeared in many places to show just the sealant. So I need to get it out when sunny, sand it down and then reseal it. I’ll probably use burgess hydrosol; and then top coat it with the burgess equivalent of varnish.

the sealant perished and let the water in - one soggy deck bit - rats!


...and there is much to do on the upper mast
the mast band seems to have slipped and exposed the area where it
used to be..........the gunk was sealant.......so it all needs to be scraped off, sanded
and sorted


I sound depressed about all the jobs – but I’m not at all – I love working on the boat as equally as much as I love sailing her. Also doing regular maintenance on a wooden boat is part of the charm – don’t get wood if you don’t like the regular maintenance jobs!

I’m aiming to have her sorted by end of half term – that’s a fortnight from now – if the weather goes with me! That’s repainting of dings and dents; repairs to damp areas; doing the mast and cutting. Fitting and sealing some new sleeping platforms. Oh......and making sure the tent fixes in position as well.

My friend and sailing partner in crime came around for a meal last night and we’ve tentatively put some dates in the diary for getting out on the water for the first time this year; and for me crewing for him at a sailing meet here in Plymouth in June for his class of boat – apparently up to 45 boat owners will descend for a rally weekend and my friend is suggesting trips to do in the area – depending on tides – it looks like a trip to Dandy Hole up the Lynher; a sail across to Cawsand and stop on the beach; a picnic in Barn Pool at the mouth of the Tamar and if the weather is nice – a sail around to the yealm and back....sounds to me like a cracking weekend and I’m really looking forward to it....even if it isn’t in Arwen!


My friend has a character post boat rather like this one
Nice boat: same LOD as Arwen; same beam size as Arwen - but no centre case inside; and a huge amount of ballast in keel. Gaff rigged - a really nice boat
Copyright of this photograph: Character Boats

Spring time is coming.........soon be sailing!

Steve

2 comments:

robert.ditterich said...

Love that pic taken from above....very nice. Good that the weather is kind enough to let you get some prep work done. If it had become perfect all of a sudden, you'd be out there sailing without having done the repairs.

steve said...

this is very true........the pic from above - the advantage of living in a three story house (garage at bottom) on a hill that overlooks a wonderful valley

how is your lovely boat progressing?

steve