Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Tuesday 7 November 2023

When Arwen met Polly

 A quick sail with Kevin who arrived down Plymouth Sound with his lovely wooden boat 'Polly'. Not the best day for a sail - very strong spring tidal flows in nasty westerly winds which made for difficult sailing conditions on the Sound. I gave up sailing Arwen after a while - I got trapped in Jennycliffe Bay and struggled to get out of it so resorted to motoring.   Ah well! 

I was very impressed with Kev and the way he sailed Polly everywhere. It was noticeable how he could get about 40 degrees off the wind whereas Arwen prefers 60 degrees. Could I keep up with him? Could I heck 😆!! One minute we were exiting the Cattedown together, next minute he was well up Jennycliffe Bay. Then he disappeared across to Drakes Island. 

Choppy, plenty of spray. It was a good day. I followed Polly and Kev across to barn Pool by Mount Edgecumbe with a view to beaching and showing Kev how my anchor bungie buddy worked but it wasn't to be - the spring tide currents along the beach were phenomenal and I rapidly abandoned that idea before Kev arrived. 

Kev sailed plenty and I learned loads. Thanks Kev. 

And so a very short segment of video from Polly coming out of the Cattedown - You will see Arwen somewhere on occasions! 

https://gopro.com/v/9mrbw3Pb3nRW3

and below my take on events out of the Cattedown!! An unintentional masterclass from Kevin on how to sail well in blustery conditions.  Boy he and Polly are a good combination. '60 seconds and gone' 😂


https://youtu.be/YXgZFOUlROI



Kevin's YouTube channel can be found at 




No comments: