Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Thursday 9 February 2023

Near Shore Anchoring

 I am always interested in this topic. I sail in a tidal range of around 5.8m at high spring tides. The beaches I land on range from steep shingle ones to long shallow mudflats. I carry a Bruce claw affair, a Danforth and a small grapnel anchor. And two spare warps of 30m each in length. 


I frequently use my anchor buddy and this is well explained by Joel

If you haven't yet come across the outstanding blog 'Joel's Navigator site' then where have you been? Joel built a navigator of extraordinary beauty and he sails it extensively in his home waters. His site is at 

http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com/

His most recent post will be of interest to all small boat sailors who anchor close inshore and want to go ashore occasionally without recourse to pumping up a dinghy. 

Its all great swimming ashore in the really hot summer months.....
.....but I'm struggling to remember when we last had them!

Visit his site and download an excellent PDF on 'Nearshore Anchoring Techniques'. 

http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com/2023/01/three-nearshore-anchoring-methods-for.html












No comments: