Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Saturday 5 February 2022

Bits and bobs

 Down time whilst the new trailer is being modified. Its length is being reduced so that there is more of a boat overhang at the stern. Adjustable rollers are being switched about so that the bow is slightly higher off the T beam. The bunks are being replaced with two sets of pivoting rollers which move both fore and aft and laterally side to side.  The aim is to make sure that Arwen slides along the trailer a metre or so before I run the trailer into the water, so that then the stern is likely to float off more easily. 

It doesn't come as a surprise. Both I and the trailer manufacturer knew that some adjustments would be needed given Arwen's wide hull and slight banana shaped keel/skeg. 

So, I have been strolling the coastline looking for places to sail to where I could get a reasonably sheltered overnight anchorage.  I have also been brushing up on my understanding of Affinity Photo for my astrophotography processing. 

Taken from the top of the cliffs at Bolt Tail looking sort of westwards towards Inner and Outer Hope Cove. In the far distance is Thurlstone

Looking westwards back along the coast. The furthest headland you can see is Rame Head which is the western side of Plymouth Sound. Beyond that, the very low, faint smudge at sea level is Dodman Point down in Cornwall.  

Inner and Outer Hope Cove - the latter is the beach in the distance protected by two concrete harbour walls - seen in the picture below 

Inner Hope Cove - it has a number of lines running up the beach for boat moorings 



My first attempt at Orion Nebula

My second attempt........

...and finally my latest attempt. Finally I am beginning to understand how to use Affinity Photo




No comments: