Well, before I could get out the camera to take one last photo of my old trailer, the scrap guys had lifted it onto a low loader and whisked it away. A blink of my eye and it had gone. 😥
Not before they had wobbled each wheel and declared " the bearings and hubs are shot to pieces bud".
Really? Go figure, I didn't know that! Dur! 😉
Arwen sits on her new trailer. There are still a couple of adjustments to do regarding height adjustable rollers at the front so that her skeg sits properly on the rear most keel roller. This will also require further adjustments to the bunk supports.
But here is the thing.....this morning I pushed Arwen on her new trailer back off the car ball hitch on the flat road outside the house .......... with just one hand.
Seriously, one handed, the entire boat and trailer moving backwards with barely any force from me. I reckon the new trailer is half the weight of the old one. Now, okay, Arwen is empty. But even so.....the trailer rolls sooo smoothly! 😁
My new trailer is from Admiral Trailers up at Honiton. Regular readers of this blog will know I don't promote any company but on this occasion I am going to do so.
From the moment I made contact, the discussion and service has been exemplary. Tony gave me two hours on a recent visit discussing my boat configuration, dimensions and what kind of trailers might be suitable. We looked at a fair few types discussing the advantages and disadvantages of each. He got to grips fully with my particular problems of limited road turning space and steeply sloping drive. We examined the 'grounding' potential of different trailer designs, did loads of measurements on different trailers and slowly weeded out the inappropriate ones. Tony proved thoughtful, knowledgeable, curious and reflective.
Suffice to say, the new trailer reversed back onto the sloping driveway with no problems at all. Plenty of clearance at the front and rear.
The video below gives a little overview summary of the trailer and the adjustments I had to make to get Arwen to sit correctly.
Essentially, I altered
- the winch post and winch post snubber arm for a better fit and to allow the bowsprit to be kept on permanently
- the support bunks height relative to her keel depth
- the position of the various keel rollers along the length of her keel