Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Tuesday 13 July 2021

Boat trailer woes 2

 Some photographs which sum up the situation. 

Living on a narrow road which has a bus route does pose problems. As does a steep driveway. If I knew everything would go OK and I could get new wheels and hub assemblies on without any problems, then I would do this on the roadway during the day and then get the boat back on the drive before the evening rush hour. 

However, the chance of a problem which would mean the boat staying on the roadside for a few days is a no-no - from the council, bus, neighbours viewpoint and rightly so. Parking is very difficult along the road as it is. 

The issue has arisen because I didnt show due diligence. The boat has practically been on the drive for two years. During the pandemic I have been out about six times in two years. Very infrequent and so I didnt keep an eye on the trailer as I should have and normally would do. 


All the wobble rollers need to have washers and split pins replaced

the wheel rims are rusting; the hub studs and nuts are very rusted
So, wheels and hubs need replacing

here is my real dilemma. The box section on the left is part of the trailer assembly - a permanently welded on section. The hub spindle is knocked into this box section between four rubber bungs. This spindle/hub/suspension section is showing suddenly very bad corrosion. I have never seen it like this before. The outer layers are flaking off. 

Some of the keel rollers have suddenly collapsed or broken - so the skeg isn't resting correctly on the rear roller. One of the little rollers has managed to break off as well!

The trailer is fourteen years old (I checked last night) and I am wondering whether the sensible thing would be to just replace the whole axle assembly completely

would some work with a wire drill brush clean the spindles and spindle suspensions arm up enough? 

This all needs replacing with a proper adjustable bow keel roller assembly

these wobble rollers are beginning to cause paint damage - I think some need to be removed completely up towards the bow and then the aft sets could be moved so that they are under the flat hull base 

despite religiously washing down after every trip! 

These just need to be moved completely inwards

Refurbishment could be around £500 if I get someone to do it and I replace all rollers and brackets, hubs and wheels. A new trailer is £1600 approx. 

Meanwhile the sailing season is sliding by. Serves me right - my head has been in motorhoming and house hunting not sailing and trailer maintenance. This is a very painful lesson to learn! 


No comments: