Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Friday 1 January 2021

Happy New Year

 Well glad to see the back of 2020. My plans for being out up the Tamar tonight and tomorrow night took a tumble as well as we were placed into tier three and so no overnights anywhere. I have had mixed reports that the MOD/marine Police are/are not enforcing that with boats on the Tamar - so basically I have no idea there! 

So, I guess it is time to do some maintenance on Arwen and also start thinking about building a new boom tent. I was going to buy a shed load of material to do the job until my wonderful wife had an inspirational idea. we have a caravan cover which we have never used. It has been boxed up in the basement. Never yet seen the light of day. So, later on today I will investigate what material it is. There is the possibility that I will get out of it a boom tent, a boat cover, two covers for my new garden chairs and a new cover for the existing garden furniture. 

Just have to hope that 'her-indoorses' sewing machine can cope with it. 

Meanwhile January 1st brings us iced roads. Where we live has two steep-ish short hills at each end of the road. neighbours have been out gritting the road from the grit bins strategically placed along the road but conditions are still treacherous. We may be stuck in a couple of day as we are on the northern facing slope of the valley and with steep garden slopes and woodland behind us, the winter sun can barely rise high enough to get into the garden! 

Anyway, I wish you all a happy new year and sincerely hope that 2021 brings you better fortunes and joy all round. 

Meanwhile off to feed the squirrels (again) and rescue the local small bird life. The little pond needs de-icing. And then, I have thirty house steps to de-ice - oh joy! 😄






















No comments: