Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Thursday 10 November 2016

A few more videos.....

From Roger Barnes, President of the Dinghy Cruising Association. He promises more to follow. Classic, simple, elegant and packed with sound advice and experience. High quality and well scripted with a unique presenting style. If you have read his book on dinghy cruising, then you know what to expect.
Enjoy, and thanks Roger. Video clips of this quality take considerable time. Much appreciated.














4 comments:

Paul Mullings said...

Usually I would agree Steve......But I don't think the trailer film was up to scratch!
I suppose it's easier to criticise than praise but I found it clumsy and not very efficient.
The ramp looked perfect with an easy grade and apart from the boat wash very calm.
Personally I would have backed the trailer down the left hand side and as close to the jetty as possible with the winch rope already extended to a point experience would have determined.
It would then be an easy task to align boat and trailer from the jetty
A bungee retainer can be utilised to then hold the boat in place until you can start winching.
Just saying......I love Rogers contribution to dinghy cruising, but there are many ways to skin cats I'm reliably informed!

steve said...

It is an easy ramp over on the dart at blackness point. Used it several times myself and actually that tends to be the way I do it
You well?

Paul Mullings said...

Probably a little hungover from the fallout from Brexit and Trumpmania..Aarrggh stop the world I want to get off! I know I'll go sailing 😊

steve said...

I'm traumatised!!!
Teaching has changed beyond all recognition in only two years, brexit, trump...where will it end.......how did the Simpsons predict it sixteen years ago........?
I feel this urgent need to retire, sail the south coast, sell the house and join some commune at a Chilean observatory high in the Andes, staring into the realms of our known universe, to get answers to the mania of life......just got to,persuade her indoors to come with me.......
Alternatively....just retiring and sailing will do....for now..........