Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Customer service from Lomo

Well. Impressive quite frankly. I ordered stuff yesterday and it arrived from Glasgow by midday today. Well done Lomo on the first hurdle....delivery. 


First impressions. Nice kit. Well made. 
Specifics......the rucksac. The white material is shiny and has a neoprene plasticy look about it. I'm not quite sure about this, ambivalent is the word.  Design wise it looks great. The outer pocket will hold a drinks bottle, wallet, keys etc. it is secured with a good splash proof zip but obviously the contents will need to be in a little dry bag inside to get full waterproofness and with fairness Lomo did say this on their website. Seams are stitched and welded and it looks pretty sturdy. I couldn't find any gaps or anomalies that would worry me unduly.


 Obviously when loaded and used over time, then I will find out more, but so far so good. The attachment points for straps and shoulder straps and waist belt seem sturdy and waterproof. They are sealed on inside with clear plastic panes which again appear well seamed and welded. It has one large inner compartment. The roll down top seems to work fine although the side strap attachments take some getting to use to if like me you have never used them before. The base seems sturdy but I would avoid sharp objects and gravel to be on the safe side!!! There was more base reinforcement on my old overboard sac and it also had outer mesh pockets and some buggy as well. But hey, it cost almost twice as much and the judgement her is for £25 are you getting value for money from Lomo and I'd say thus far on first impressions, yes definitely. Time will tell on performance. I will duly report back when part way through sailing season. One initial concern is whether it will sag somewhat if only half full so packing may need to be done carefully. 

The large red dry bags
I like these. For the price they are pretty impressive with stitched and glued seams. A good cordura type material which will take general wear and tear well I suspect. The roll clip attachments are sturdy, well stitched, strong plastic clips. These would probably make excellent dinghy buoyancy bags if truth were but known. The black bags are very well made with reinforced clear bottoms. Finally the three small rip stop nylon bags look well made and will be useful for keys, wallet, phone, and sunnies etc.


The full finger gloves are nice , soft, well stitched. A pressie for my wife who will be sailing with me more this year.......so she tells me........if the weather is nice!!

No comments: