Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Sunday 5 February 2012

fitting a bilge pump....

I'm leaning towards doing it. I'm looking at the Whaler urchin model which attaches to a bulkhead. It pumps 9 gallons or 37 lts per minute if you do 45 strokes of the handle. I think if the boat was swamped and I was using a 3 gallon bucket and under panic, I would shift far more! So the pump is to get that rainwater out or the water that builds up during the day punching to windward. I have bungs at the back which are unscrewed at the end of each trip so the water can drain out whilst on the slip ramp but some water always remains in.


The Whaler Urchin
copyright seapost.co.uk

Locating the pump will be the issue so that it has a firm bedding.  Ideally I want it close to the helm position but not in the rear aft footwell since little water ever seems to gather there. So what about mounting it on a block and then mounting the block onto the front port bulkhead in front of the centre thwart? With a detatchable handle on a lanyard so it won't get in the way, that position would be accessible enough.  People sitting with the legs forward of that position shouldn't find it too intrusive but I'll check first.  I think that then when I hove to to pump out water that has collected, this place will be easy to get to and easy to move in. But will it fit? Will the pipe stick up too much?


what I don't want happening; the pump in the way, sticking up and the pipe being all over the place

An alternative would be to mount it on a block along one of the hull planks but it really isn't that accessible there is it? The inlet pipe could go straight down to the floor. I want to resist using a  large strum suction box because I'll tread on it or trip on it. The outlet pipe will have to gently curve up the side of the hull and then exit somewhere along Arwen's nice Burgundy sheer plank. I'll need to fit a good outlet ring of some form and make sure it is well bedded in sitaflex.
The dimensions needed for installation

Ugh! Drilling holes in Arwen's nice planks - just doesn't sound fun does it.....do I really need a bilge pump. Normally what I do is let the water build up and then just use the hand bailer or hand pump. The hand pump has a shorter pipe though which never reaches over the hull side. So would it be better just to add a large pipe length to that and save myself some hassle?


the kind of pump I use now but the pipe doesn't reach up over the side deck!!

AArgh!  Decisions, decisions. I hate making decisions!
Someone give me advice - what would they do? Because so far, all I have found is this nice piece from Dick Everitt which I assume has come from an old PBO magazine (at least that is who I'm attributing copyright to so sorry if I got it wrong!). I wonder if Joel, Steve, Rob and others have installed one in their navigators and pathfinders? Time to call in the cavalry!




Steve 

8 comments:

Joel Bergen said...

Decisions, decisions LOL!
I use a hand pump, like your red one there, except it has an even shorter hose I think. I stick the end of the hose into the centerboard case. I also have a bucket and a big sponge of course. But I sail in more protected waters here in Puget Sound than you do so your needs may be greater.
-Joel

steve said...

actually i'm thinking that just keeping the long pump is the best option.

good to hear from you Joel.
steve

Joel Bergen said...

Steve,
How about something like this:

http://www.aquachargepump.com/aboutaquachargemarine.html

It's a rechargable portable bilge pump.

-Joel

steve said...

clever gimo isnt it! like it. would mean having to put a 12v battery system in arwen. i'm still leaning towards longer pipe on the hand pump idea. anyway, more importantly, how ya doin Joel?
steve

Joel Bergen said...

No, the pump has a rechargable battery and it's rated for saltwater use. You just set it in some water and turn it on. It uses a standard garden hose.

I suspect I'm doing the same as you. Working long hours, wishing for good weather and dreaming about going sailing. Am I close?

steve said...

yup - sounds about right. exhausted doing 12 hr days in school and then 3 hrs each night and i seem to be standing still achieving nothing...still got a few days next week if the weather picks up......thanks for the tip on the pump - will investigate further. here is to those long summer days coming a bit more quickly!

steve

Alan said...

As a motorboat operator I find myself somewhat bemused at the idea of a manual pump...

Even a small bit of a wave over the stern can instantly dump a ton of water into Arwen. Water is heavy, really heavy. A single square meter of water is 1000 kilograms or 2200lbs. You want to pump that manually?

Even at full, ideal speed that pump is barely 500 gallons per hour, while a small electric bilge pump would be around 1100 gph. On my 23ft powerboat I use float-switched 1100 with a 3500 backup for emergency swamping.

My current boat has 2 huge batteries and a fancy switch for choosing which one the engine charges but a simple car battery offers amazing performance compared to pumping manually. Besides, if you don't have a 12 volt supply, what are you doing for navigation or anchor lights?

steve said...

all fair comments and userful insights Alan.

When camping overnight in port I'm normally at a harbour mooring and I run a battery powered anchor light up the mast; i never sail at night although I carry some battery powered nav lights just in case