Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Thursday 21 April 2011

today's sailing

Well I didn't get to see the porpoise again but I feel very lucky to have seen them at all. It is a very rare occasion to have them in the sound. I did get to see a large common seal though which seems to have taken up residency in the little bay opposite the marine aquarium.

I went out again today. The wind was very fickle, blowing gusts in one moment and then flat calm the next. I'm beginning to get the hang of picking up a mooring and sailing off it as well. I also practiced reefing at sea and have come to the realisation that my reefing ties are too short so they need replacing. Dur - I just don't know how I managed to mess that one up! I also discovered that my downhaul sheet is too short. I cannot raise it up to the second set of reefing points. Wow! Good job I found out now. So that will need sorting as well. Managed to sail for a time under jib and mizzen and put into play the advice given recently by John's forum members.


got the jib set fine but the main sail - oh dear!

 I managed to tack the boat but found her easier to gybe under just mizzen and jib. I'll need my friend Dave to come out with me on this one I think. He will know what to do.  I find sailing Arwen in very light winds difficult. I still haven't got a handle on how to trim the sails for very light winds. There is that old adage however "Practise makes perfect". I also miscalculated the tides and so arrived at very low water at the slip. I had to tie up alongside an inflatable  (sorry Arwen - the indignity) and wait for the tide to rise sufficiently. So I lazed around, read a book, sat in the sun, tidied up the boat and people strolling along the pontoon to their big boats all admired Arwen.......pretty cool really!

Steve

2 comments:

Simon White said...

Hey Steve. Love your vids. The Porpoises are spine-tingling. Also enjoyed your trip to Salcombe and back. Adventures, indeed.

I hope to embark on a Navigator build come the Autumn, and am doing lots of the research now. Awaiting study plans as I write.

Re sailing in light winds, on other boats I've sailed it sometimes helps to lean the boat slightly (5-10 deg) to leeward to get the sails to 'flop' under gravity into the aerofoil shape they need to generate lift, rather than trying to get the wind to push them into shape when it is too light.

Gentle movements are needed around the boat when under way, too, to stop them from flapping and upsetting the limited smooth flow of air across them. We used to do this when racing on the Clyde, and it worked well.

Maybe we will meet some day in four or so years, when (if) I have finished and do a sail in company for a day, as I am based in the Midlands and the creeks and harbours of the South Coast are calling....

Keep them coming.

Simon.

steve said...

hey simon - useful tips - I tried the leaning one today and it worked really well. When you've built your nav and you head this way - give me an email!
thanks for the advice and good luck with your build - a navigator is a brilliant boat
steve