Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Tuesday 24 August 2010

odds and ends

I'm building an Iain oughtred 'Stickleback' canoe. It's a lapstrake and a lovely design which sadly I've rushed. There have been disasters as well - the planks sprung out  from one of the stems and it required a lot of epoxy and filler to get them back....so its a good job she's to be painted. She's going to be a small tender for Arwen to save me driving her up onto beaches. It isn't my best work - I know I can and have done better.



I've burned in two or three celtic designs - a cross; a celtic mythical dragon bird and a celtic dog.



I've got to sand along some of the planks; repaint the cockpit and then paint the hull.



I spent today down at Falmouth and went out on a 10m rib......zipping about in force 4/5 - quite exhilarating at times although I do prefer Arwen. We got to see some grey seals basking in what sun there was.



I also managed to pop into the maritime museum and caught up with this boat being bought alongside the fueling pontoon. All in all, it was quite a fun day.







Steve

No comments: