Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Sunday 15 April 2012

and more thoughts about dinghy safety................

PLB’s vs. EPRIB’s


Well here is an interesting one as well. I use a SPOT for sailing, walking on Dartmoor, fishing off the rocks around the south Devon coast; when travelling in remote regions abroad like Namibia and Amazonia. It is a multi-purpose one. It is advertised as being useful to boaters and sailors; it is fully waterproof (I’ve dropped it in the brink twice and it came up functioning fine!!).

There are concerns that at sea level i.e. in the sea it won’t be as effective as an EPRIB’s. That maybe. Hence I wear the PLB, mobile phone and handheld VHF around my Buoyancy aid. I’m sort of hoping that along with mini-flares, if I ever get separated from the boat or too exhausted to right Arwen, then one of the four will summon the help I need. (Is this severe paranoia?)

The other advantage of the SPOT is it sends text updates to my Wife’s mobile (reassuring her); a tracking update to my friends laptop (so when on extended voyages he can keep tabs on me and as an experienced sailor if I seem to be remaining in the same spot offshore for sometime – he’ll contact me to check on me; he also likes to know what I’m up to as well!). Of course an EPRIB will outperform a PLB. There is no antenna on my PLB – it just needs access to an open sky so that isn’t an issue. Although I haven’t had to use it yet in an emergency (and nor do I ever hope to have to), I’m told it will do an emergency message to the US centre within 60 seconds of activation; they have my contact details and the coastguard details here in UK and will rely a message immediately to Falmouth Coastguard.

I should say that the SPOT isn't a true PLB in one sense. I like it because of its versatility and the tracking/messenger service it sends people. There are complications with it and it is a subscription service and so people should check out carefully whether this is the product for them and read up on all the good and bad points about SPOT which are found on the net.

Safety, safety, safety! So much to think about! And I’m still none the wiser really. Ouch!

Steve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, you're right to take safety seriously, but to keep things in proportion. You're probably more likely to get run over crossing a road. Watch the weather, look at your charts closely and you'll be fine. Getting into, and out of, minor scrapes is all part of the fun......and learning. Phil.

steve said...

hi Phil - good to hear from you.
i agree. i've had some scrapes already; you build up an understanding of your boat and her characteristic behaviour in different circumstances don't you...and that is all part of the fun isn't it. I tend to be a cautious individual - my mountaineering/adventure travel background taking over
thanks for the comment
cheers
steve