Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Tuesday 31 March 2015

Neil moomey's pulley anchor system

Can be found here

http://www.neilmoomey.com/howtos/anchor_buoy/AnchorPulleySystem.pdf

His website can be found at

http://www.neilmoomey.com/howtos/anchor_buoy/

A novel, simple system, which at this very moment I am putting together in the kitchen as it is way to blowy to go sailing. Pity, such a sunny day too.

Steve 


4 comments:

Alastair said...

If this works it is a great idea. My prediction is that it won't work. I reckon it will jamb up with the fine stringy green weed that floats around the south coast (UK). This weed wraps around the rope then gets bunched up, as you pull the rope through a fairlead, into a solid block. Run a tripping line ashore, from the anchor, so you can pull it in if this happens.

steve said...

Yep I agree Alastair
He used four inch pipe. I had three inch left over from something so we will see. My floating line is only 8mm as well so that is a slight worry too
Time will tell but running a trip line is a good idea
Steve

Joel Bergen said...

If you can buy a device called an "Anchor Buddy" in the UK, I highly recommend it.

steve said...

Ah now someone else mentioned that to me the other day Joel. Right, new mission, investigate anchor buddy
Thanks for the tip

Steve