Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Thursday 7 August 2014

My final destination

I made it up to within 500m of  St. Germans and then realised I didn't want to moor there. The wilderness adventurer called out to me and I turned around and headed for the beach on the inside of the Dandy Hole meander bend. This will be my resting place for tonight. I am trying to decide whether to take the ground and hope my tidal height calculations are right or cross to the outside of the bend and moor in deeper water. I think at the moment I will opt for the former. The river beach, take the ground and a campfire on the beach appeal to me.



I am waiting for the tide to drop a metre or so and hat is where I will ground thus ensuring I have plenty of water to float me off in the morning. 
Nerve wracking isn't it....trying to work out how to take the ground for the first time! The wind is coming at me across the channel. I put a kedge anchor out in deeper water with the hope that that can be used to pull me into deeper water. 



Wish me luck!

No comments: