Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Sunday 11 May 2014

Some Sunday's...........

Are wonderful. I'm waking up to a Sunday which doesn't end in five hours school preparation and I'm sat here facing a multitude of exciting little possibilities.

Taking my wife for a coffee and read of Sunday papers on our historic barbican. One of my guilty little pleasures.

 Shall I tell her its "Pirates Day" and there will be mermaids, pirates, folk groups, the Navy Tars and several Jonny Depp's wandering around?

I won't mention the presence of the tall ship 'Phoenix'. I'll let it be a surprise. I know how much she'll love spending an hour ( or two ) wandering around it with me exploring every block, nail, nook and cranny...........such happiness, hand in hand as we gently bang our heads on the low beams and marvel at how buying one of these and converting it into a live aboard and sailing the seven seas.....would be so exciting.......................huh! That will happen only in my wildest dreams!!

After the barbican? Well a brisk walk around the hoe. It's breezy today (note mild sarcasm.......its been blowing hoolies all weekend......) and then...........

Well I could do some preliminary passage planning for may half term trip. Now that's a productive use of a Sunday afternoon.......kitchen table, admiralty charts, some Lynyrd skynryd on the CD player.......Sunday roast sizzling in the oven in the background.

Follow it up with some moral support and help to number one son sitting A level exams next week and some discussions with number one daughter over career path options. Ah!

A perfect lazy Sunday

No comments: