Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Saturday 24 May 2014

Possible overnight camp stops

I haven't quite decided where to camp tomorrow. There are four possibilities.

1. At St Germans - the starboard side of the most starboard trots - out on the mud flats - as you look up river towards the railway viaduct

 
2. Up a tributary of the Lynher - alongside the pontoons at Boating World although despite contacting them three time by email - they haven't replied - so I guess I should take the hint!
 
 
3. on the southern, outside bend of Dandy Hole - I could anchor fore and aft right in the lee of the wooded hill slope which would give me a sheltered anchorage for the night
 
 
4. in the top of the picture above is a little triangular piece of land with a small beach - just off the main channel - right hand bank. I know the hostellers club have used that beach before. I am camping on a set of rising spring tides - so if I moor in such a way that I have an aft anchor out; along with a bow anchor onto the land - I should be able to camp on the land; let the boat dry out overnight and then re-float in the morning
 
Well that's the theory anyway!
 
 

No comments: