Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Sunday 9 March 2014

The Palm kaikoura

was a comfy fit with plenty of adjustment. The deep cut allowed plenty of arm movement. The hand warmer fleece lined pockets worked, really well. I was worried that it would be bulky but actually it didn't seem so. So far, first outing? Impressed; but it is still early days.

Above, as worn
Radio, SPOT PLB and strobe lifejacket light attached
 
Left pocket as you see it
Wind anemometer; GPS, sunglasses; fingerless gloves
Right hand pocket - safety knife and mini-flares pack; spare batteries for radio and SPOT PLB
Smaller pockets - a few sweets, lip salve; whistle; spare engine kill cord
My phone also attaches to one shoulder as well
 
 

6 comments:

Joel Bergen said...

That's an awesome vest. You've got more kit in that vest than I carry in my entire boat. I'm not even kidding. And it packs in there so nicely. Mine is similar in size and shape, but only has two pockets. Time to go shopping.

steve said...

Alas my friend
I suffer from Paranoia - if I fall in - at least I have things with me which may effect a quicker rescue; of course I may have so much with me that it weighs me down and I sink anyway!

steve

Joel Bergen said...

Paranoia is a good thing. Nothing wrong with a healthy dose of it for sure. My vest has flares, whistle, VHF, cell phone, and knife. Only what I consider essential for an inshore rescue. The rest I keep in a dry bag tied to the boat. I figure if I go over, fewer items to sort through might be better, especially in a panic situation. I do like your setup though. You're sailing offshore & need more safety equipment, and it all fits very nicely in that vest. Nice choice.

steve said...

I have wondered about keeping more in a grab instead
And whether with all the stuff I could get back in a swamped Arwen.

Have you ever done a proper capsize drill in Ellie?

I think my hatches have warped and need replacing either side of the centre thwart so I think I may need to do a proper capsize test this year .......ironically on the very beach you drew attention to where none of us are allowed. Otherwise it's tow it across to salcombe and capsize on north or south sand beaches

Hey ho things to ponder on
Weather getting any better for you?

Steve

Joel Bergen said...

No, I haven't done a capsize drill. You're way ahead of me when it comes to safety and preparedness. That's one of the things I enjoy most about your blog. When you do your capsize drill, I hope you can video it because it would be very valuable for us to see. I take what I think are reasonable precautions to avoid trouble. I watch the weather closely, always reef early and I run for cover at the first sign of trouble. My daysails are in sight of the second largest marina on the US west coast. There are always other boaters near by. I only camp-cruise with groups of friends. I selected Navigator based first on it's reputation for seaworthiness. I keep her tidy and I rigged her so I can control everything from a seated position in the cockpit to reduce the risk of falling overboard. But I admit I should do more. At the very least I need to get in the habit of ALWAYS wearing my vest instead of wearing it most of the time. You're my inspiration Steve, and I can see why you're such a good teacher.

steve said...

May be safe but did you see my reefing video???
Like u I play safe and try to sail within my capability but on open sea so many things can go wrong. I love Ellie, clear, clean, streamlined. Poor old Arwen bless her.

I will do a capsize test this year. I'll wear a wetsuit and take Arwen across to south sands in salcombe.....nice, clean sand, shallow beach, no cross currents. I'll try and film it. In meantime need to replace hatches.