Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Sunday 23 February 2014

A dilemma

Sadly, my step gran died in January. Reaching her nineties, she was much loved and respected. In helping my parents sort her estate and house, we came across my grandad's old camping trunk...a huge wooden box from the days of the old great western railway (commonly referred to as God's wonderful railway by all railwaymen in the GWR). Dad and grandad were GWR men and very proud of it too.....anyway digressing. This lovely wooden trunk is huge and dad has let me have it. And now to my dilemma. If I were to cut it in half and rebuild the missing sides on each half; and then sand and restore them.....they would make excellent wannigans for Arwen.

However, I can't bring myself to do it......it is a lovely old box which needs some TLC and it used to carry all my Grandad's camping gear when he was a scout leader. He used to pack it up, load it onto the train and with scouts in tow, head for the south coast once each year for scout camp.

So dilemma over I guess.....restore it and use it for storing my camping gear or boat gear for Arwen in the back of the car when off sailing.  I plan on camping down Falmouth way in the summer so this box will be ideal and it will resurrect a family tradition. I don't know what possessed me to think about cutting it in the first place and whilst I know Grandad and Dad would be fine about it being done because they would be glad it was being used........there is some sense of family history in this box which just cannot be destroyed. A sense of innate responsibility .....to pass on some family traditions.  The 'camping box' passed down through the generations. I rather like that!

So heat gun at the ready, paint stripping, sanding and restoring here we come. And whilst at it, I'll put some thin ply in the base and reinforce the chipped and worn corners with some pine square cornering.

Of course the dilemma now is what paint scheme.......Arwen is white and burgundy red. I am somehow leaning towards GWR green or GWR cream and brown.......traditions!!

3 comments:

Andy said...

Love to see some pics of the trunk. How big is it? Andy

Simeon said...

Nice thoughts and decisions.
Generations and traditions are important to honor.
Well done!

steve said...

Hi Andy/Simeon
yeah traditions are important and the more I think about this the more reluctant I become to doing anything that alters the box. Size wise - it is a typical GWR railway box - approximately 1m x 50cm width x 50 cm deep; easy to pick up when empty - probably weigh a tonne when picking up fully laden - certainly back breaking so care will be needed. I may well put in some internal walls to hold things securely....but that necessitates me first thinking about what I am going to store in the box!

post some pictures at weekend.

steve