Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Saturday 4 January 2014

Housekeeping

The new tarpaulin arrived. I'm not overly impressed. It says waterproof but we will see. I spent an hour sorting plastic sheet and tarps. I think I will have to bite the bullet this year and invest in a properly made waterproof cover for Arwen. It will cost but at least I won't constantly be pumping her out or emptying the under front thwart locker.

The binocular and compass bins are fitted. Although they look good, I'm not convinced about whether they will be useful or not. The binocular one went down the side of the centreboard on starboard side just forward of the centre thwart hatch; in arms reach of where I put all my charts etc when coastal cruising. The compass one attached to the coaming next to my little plastic handy wallet which stores pencils, sharpeners, rubbers, notebook etc; again within arms reach of my navigation area!

I have a gut feeling both are going to get in the way and I'll end up removing them. You know what they say.......'KISS........keep it simple stupid'!

'Stupid' Steve

6 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

I had to keep my rowing skiff outdoors last year because of all the building. I bent a full length batten about 1.5" x 1" x 17' on a central post and a wooden chock at stem and stern both lashed down.

Over that I tied a doubled over B&Q tarp using extra eyes and tied tight under the boat, I guess at the centre the batten was a foot higher than the boat and both ends open to let air though, worked a treat in rain wind and snow.

She's back in the new and extended garage now along with Tosh, the SCOW, two kayaks, the piano, Joe's trampolene, beer fridge ...... and there's still just about room to work

steve said...

I've done something similar now but I'm worried there won't be enough airflow

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve

You should maybe think about making your own cover - not difficult. I wrote a post about is here http://forthsailoar.osbert.org/2012/08/05/a-new-cover-for-scratch/

If I was doing it again, I'd make a few improvements based on that experience, but it works pretty well. If you want more info let me know and I'll tell you how I'd do it differently.

Cheers

Joel Bergen said...

Steve,
Do you have room for a 10x20 canopy? They work great if you fasten them to the ground.

steve said...

Hi Joel
Sadly not. At the moment the plastic and tarp seem to be doing the job but its only temporary
Steve

steve said...

Thanks Osbert
I am thinking of doing a make your own jobbie
Steve