Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Friday 3 January 2014

compass box and binocular rack

built out of scrap wood.......a windfall of mahogany of some sort out of an office refurbishment, the binocular rack and compass bin just await attachment to the coamings.


Doused liberally in Danish oil which seems to have done the job (I wasn't sure to be truthful about whether this would be sufficient waterproofing but it seems to be so far in 'under the tap' tests), they now need to be attached at prudent points.


A place where they aren't out of reach if I sit mid-ships but where they won't be in the way of leaning back against the coaming; where I could reach forward and grab them if sat at the back using the short tiller on the outboard whilst underway. this will need care and thought.


I'll attach them with stainless steel screws but also may use some marine sealant as well to stop water going down the back of them.


In the meantime, when I can get into the boat without having to pump it out......I want to take measurements to build two 'wanigan's for each side of the centreboard - basically lidded bins that will fit neatly into the front cockpit section. Here I can store stuff whilst on camping trips and generally make the cockpit a neater area clear of clutter. Wanigans are made for Canadian canoes but some inventive souls have used similar ideas and principles in their open boats as well. this web link will give you a general idea of what I'm thinking about:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?155078-Waterproof-boxes-for-my-Sooty-Tern&s=6d69b71b785539ca6266d5171f81f435

 The idea is that they are portable; strapped in with clips to stop them moving when underway or during a capsize; but easy to remove if camping on board or onshore. I'll build them out of exterior ply and paint them to match Arwen's colour scheme. I'll probably fibreglass their base and sides. One will be solely for camping equipment - kitchen and cooking stuff; bottles and food. The other great idea behind these is that they extend the side thwarts forward more to make a better sleeping platform for me when I camp on board. There is method to my madness on rare occasions!

Some of you will be asking - 'isn't there enough hatch space already on a navigator'?  Well yes there is. In the storage bins either side of the rear centreboard go toolkit; fire extinguishers; spare ropes; sponges; radar reflectors; spare torches; fuel containers etc...and that is them virtually full. In the under seat one at rear goes spare lifejackets; spare clothes etc and when camping.....food supplies.  The forward locker under the foredeck is virtually inaccessible because the mast is in the way and I didn't have the foresight of other navigator owners to make two hatches one either side of the mast!! Hence getting the single large hatch cover off underway is impossible and at best inconvenient whilst at anchor - so I rarely use it.

Anyway, long lists of things to do and think about...along with re-varnishing the mast. All to be done before Easter.....so best get cracking on!

4 comments:

Joel Bergen said...

Wanigans - what a brilliant idea! I'll have to add that idea to Ellie's ever growing wish-list, although I seem to have enough storage space for the time being.

Sometimes I think maybe I am not bringing along enough stuff. :) All my camping gear, rain gear, and lifejackets go in my dry locker. What doesn't fit goes on the front thwart. Toolbox under the front thwart. Multi-purpose bucket containing ropes, sponges, etc under thwart on port side of CB, gas can under starboard. Bailing pump, flares, fenders and paddle under coamings. First aid, charts, batteries, toiletries in ziplock bags under seats port & starboard, food and drinks under aft thwart, small dry bag under coaming contains cameras, gps, sunblock, sunglasses, air horn, knife, hat, and any other small essential things.

steve said...

Ok, ok!
I know! You are basically more highly organised than me! Your way keeps a boat clutter free and everything to hand. Me, I live in a state of perpetual chaos as he looks at the eight piles of work on his office desk (read converted bedroom as office). I would dearly love to be organised but somehow it never seems to happen.
Hey good to hear from you Joel. Happy new year and I hope family are all well.

Steve

Joel Bergen said...

On the contrary, I think it is you that is more organized than I my friend. I have a bad habit of bringing along only the bare essentials. While all my sailing friends are busy preparing and packing for every imaginable possibility, I'm going through all my stuff asking myself "do I have to have this? Is this really necessary? Can this item serve a dual purpose?", etc. It's easy to appear organized when you bring along only the essentials because fewer items can be packed away so neatly. I do this not because I'm organized, but because I'm disorganized. But bringing along so few items is risky which is why I wonder if I'm bringing along enough stuff. A truly organized person is one who is able to fit all that he needs and wants aboard a small boat, which is why I look to you for guidance.
-Joel

steve said...

I used to climb in the alps with a friend who had your philosophy. It served him really well. Everything he owned was multifunctional. I had two rucksacks. He had one.
I like your approach. I tend to store everything on Arwen because the I know where it is and when I go overnighting on board I know everything is there. I just need to be more organised as where to store things

Steve