Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Thursday 12 April 2012

The Cormorant Hotel in Golant

The Cormorant Hotel in Golant, well what can I say? My Wife found it as a ‘hideaway’ for our 25th wedding anniversary this week. I rarely make ‘recommendations’ for this is not the aim of my blog. However, on this occasion I make an exception and I do have something to say.



Understated elegance; tasteful furnishings; superb location; friendly, charming staff and that is just to start with. I loved the place and so did the other guests we spoke to. Our superior room had a view to die for. The gardens were well laid out; there were lovely terraces with seating areas and small lawns; and waking up to the sun streaming through our window was wonderful.



The food was exquisite (perhaps a little more needed since we were still hungry afterwards!!). The lounge had deep sofas and stunning views. The decor was light and almost ‘New England’ like – light shades of white and blue. Our room had a small balcony.



We concluded that this was probably the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in within the UK. We sat at dinner with lovely crisp white table linen and watched the small boats bob around as the setting sun cast a pinky-orange glow across the wooded hillside opposite. A bonus? Well, a nice swimming pool in a lovely wood lined building next door; rather Nordic like and with a Jacuzzi with stunning views down across the estuary.



 However, it was mid April; there were only around 12 guests so it was peaceful. However, even at the height of the season, I still think this would be a remarkable place to stay. I don’t think I’ve ever been this effusive about a place I’ve stayed at before!




Boats, a train, estuary views and a lovely hotel. My wife really does know how to spoil me!

Steve

2 comments:

Joel Bergen said...

Congratulations to you and your wife on your 25th. What a beautiful place to spend it!

steve said...

Thanks Joel. I'm always amazed that there is someone who can tolerate me for any length of time. My wife deserves many medals!