Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Saturday 4 February 2012

Silva 70UN compass, Lazy Jacks and thoughts of summer

I think I have finally sorted out in my head my lazy jack arrangement, which when the weather improves, will the first thing I do to get Arwen ship shape and ready and for this coming season. I’m going to put a shackle on the port shroud tang high up on the mast from which a rope will run down the port side of the mainsail to the aft end of the sprit boom and under the loose sail foot. It will run through a fairlead on the bottom of the sprit boom and then back for’ard up the starboard side of the mainsail to a block on the starboard shroud tang, before running down the mast side to a cleat which I will mount on the mast side. Now I can splice in a line either side of the main sail off these mainlines which will run down under the boom and back up the other side. And hey presto...or at least I think so! What I’m secretly looking for are lazy jacks that work like these!! But I doubt it!


http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/howto/lazyjacks/index.htm

I have also bought a Silva 70UN sighting compass. I’ve been using my hand held compass up to now and this will be a good addition for those long passages Arwen and I do during the summer months. I expect I will mount it either along the top of the centre board case top or at the aft end of the centre case on a block which I will attach upright in the aft cockpit. I’ll need to check where the steel bolts and screws are......compass deviation would be somewhat embarrassing.
I have also been giving some thought to stowing the sails on the sprit boom when they are dropped. I use sail tie tapes which are fine but take time to sort out. I quite like this little trick from Harry Gordon and I just have to work out whether it could work or not on Arwen.


Now I have to wait for a spell of dry weather. Here it is raining and bitterly cold. Europe is in the middle of a deep freeze and more snow is forecast....where oh where are those lovely summer days?
Steve



5 comments:

momist said...

If the screws you are talking of are stainless steel, they will probably not have any effect at a few inches away. Plain steel might, but they would also be prone to rusting!

Whameller said...

A downside of shockcord sail ties is that they have a nasty habit of smacking you in the face or over the knuckles when you can least afford to be distracted !

steve said...

thanks for the comments gents. the screws were stainless; as was the bolt. the sail ties are yellow 2.5cm wide woven tape not elasticated so they are fine

thanks for the comments
steve

Rothco said...

I definitely enjoyed reading every little bit of it and I have it bookmarked to check out new stuff posted regularly.I really like the design of the blog.

steve said...

Thanks Rothco - really appreciate the comment

Steve