Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Does the name you give your boat embue it with a 'soul'?

Here is an update from Rob.


“Well, I've named my Navigator "Islander," after the 37-foot yawl Harry Pidgeon, until then a non-sailor, built only a stone's throw away from my launch site in LA Harbor almost 100 years ago and then sailed solo around the world - twice. He was the second person to do so, the first being Joshua Slocum.  Another reason for the name is my principal sailing destination across the San Pedro Channel - Catalina Island”.


Rob says he had picked out the name a long time ago, but the rest of the family objected thinking it too "boring" a name.

Well, I think it’s a great name Rob and very apt. For what it is worth, none of my lot liked ‘Arwen’ as a name but.....well she is 'Arwen'......a goddess of the sea and I just cannot think of her being named anything else. I look at her and I see her soul......she is and always will be 'Arwen' to me.  Sometimes people just don’t understand the sentiments behind a name do they?


Wecome to the 'Welsford Navigator' family 'Islander'

Steve

3 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

they certainly don't Steve

http://bursledonblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/you-just-wouldnt.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, I'm a postman, if I get a cat should I call it Dogwatch? Phil.

steve said...

priceless......do you think they knew what they were doing when they named the poor old gal?

Steve