Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Wednesday 25 January 2012

well there we are....................

My little outboard which had some problems has been fixed and is now residing at a local chandler and I have a credit note for £150........which I can spend piecemeal.....there is no time limit on it. So now it's thinking about what things to get.......creating a shopping list.....wow!

So..................on the list is
  • a fixed compass somewhere in the boat
  • a manual bilge pump....yes? no?  not sure?
  • new flares cos the others are now out of date, yes? no? maybe? not sure? um!
  • a waterproof VHF?
  • a new set of oars (would rather make them frankly....but then there is a VESPA STUCK IN MY GARAGE STILL)
  • a little wind anemometer hand held  thing?
  • a strobe laser torch instead of flares? Um not sure!
  • new life jackets - the others are 7 yrs old?
  • new cleats for the jib sheets - I want ones that mount on the inside of the boat and are easier to put the sheets in and out of
  • replacing my trailer rollers from the hard plastic to nice rubber ones - kinder on Arwen's hull?
  • paint for dings
  • canoe paddle blades for Angharad, Arwen's tender
  • anchor chocks - could I fit the Anchor to the foredeck without it snagging the jib sheet?
  • a clutch for the main halyard instead of my current cleat - would that be simpler and quicker to use or is it too new fangled?
  • hand held rechargeable spotlight?
  • new hatches because two have warped over the years and are leaking
I know I'm very lucky. What I was offered in cash was far less than the offer on the credit note. I've never had this some of money before to spend on Arwen.........so it has come as a surprise and sort of 'bonus'. Truthfully, we didn't expect the outboard after 11 years faithful service to be resurrected but there we go...a talented outboard engineer did some magic when others just said it was knackered. I knew that if someone could resurrect it, they'd get a good deal. I had it serviced annually; stored it tank dry during winter; flushed it with freshwater after every trip.......stored it upright etc, etc, etc.

I'll take my time deciding what to get; I won't spend it all at once. I'm conscious that the household budget is under pressure. This credit note can just sit here I think....it will cushion Arwen if there is an emergency - gear failure, accidental damage etc. A priority is a pair of paddles for Angharad and I can get a cheap pair for £15 at the store which is all I need.

I'm lucky, times are hard. I'll think it over a while..........just so long as the chandler remains in business!

Steve

but just out of interest, if people came into a little money to spend on their small boat what would they consider getting and why? I'd be interested to know.

No comments: