Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Wednesday 29 June 2011

getting the snotter right

Well going to the forum has paid dividends again. The problem is easy, I seem to have rigged the sprit boom in such a way that I cannot get the boom to go aft enough. Consequently there is always a huge belly in the bottom of the sail. So my thanks go, again, to Osbert, Wayne and Robin.


They have drawn attention to the fact that the snotter is actually too long and when tightened block to block is still too long. This because I have it on a strop off the mast and which then clips to the end of the boom on a rope bight. The guys also pointed out that the snotter and boom should be near parallel to each other with the boom being held much closer to the point where the snotter attaches to the mast. The key is to maximise the gap between the blocks so that the snotter can be tightened much more.

Someone suggested that

“You can/should adjust the amount of belly in the sail depending on wind levels, more belly in lighter winds - the point is that you may not want to have the snotter as tight as you can make it!”

So adjustments......well it’s been suggested that I remove the shackle/block at forward end of boom and replace it with a simple bulls eye and then tie the snotter through it and run it back around the mast; then get rid of the up-haul on the forward end of the boom. I then need to hoist the main and then tighten the downhaul for luff tension. Then I should push out the boom aft wards until the sail bottom shape looks good. At this point I could then lash the forward end of the boom around the mast twice and back out to the bulls eye with a couple of hitches.

Well, there is now plenty to think about and to fiddle with at weekend but once again it shows the value, depth of expertise and effectiveness of the people in John’s yahoo forum. Thanks guys.

Steve

2 comments:

Jon said...

Steve, thanks for posting these issues and their resolutions in such detail. You have a knack for synthesizing everyone's comments and advice into something coherent. It is very valuable documentation for all of us. I will look forward to the next update.

Jon

steve said...

that's just it really - there is so much superb advice from such knowledgeable people. If you are a newbie builder and sailor like myself, then being able to find it in just one place is a bonus I think. I'm also very biased! I LOVE the navigator design. It suits me perfectly...and I want to make sure I do John and his design justice......so where I've mucked it up, I need to put it right!

Steve