Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Friday 18 February 2011

...should I? Shouldn't I?

I’m thinking of attempting the ridiculous – well ridiculous for me that is.
I’m thinking of having a go at repacking the wheel bearings on Arwen’s trailer. It’s a good quality Degraaf trailer – but its 4 yrs old and I’ve never done it – which is shocking really. Given there are no brakes on it – how hard should it be? (Famous last words ringing in my head?) Of course it will have to come off the drive slope and then there is the issue of how do I jack it up and secure it....given the boat is still on the trailer. In fact I don’t even know if this can be done!



This is the same trailer type that carries arwen
It's a fantastic trailer except for one niggle - the screw handles which hold the rods which hold the lighting board stand far too high and would scratch the hull - so I don't use the rods - I just tie it over the back of the transom    Copyright: degraaf trailers

I haven’t researched it yet on the net but I’m guessing that I can get away with not removing the wheel but just prising off the hub cap. Is there a special tool for that? Don’t know – better consult the oracle on all engineering matters.

(Dad – is there a special tool I need? And if I attempt this – and mess it up – any chance you’d know what to do and could rescue me?)

When that hub cap comes of I actually have no idea what’s underneath it. I’m guess in some kind of nut and pin system which one assumes will have to come out. If it’s a nut – it should unscrew – shouldn’t it? Then I assume that the bearings will magically appear and that these will somehow slip out – so I’ll need a tray to put them on. I’m wondering what holds them in place and I’m expecting lots of grease – so is there a grease seal of some form? What stops the water ingress? And the axle should be in view as well?



is this what it will look like on my trailer wheels?




Lots of ‘I assume’ in this post isn’t there – um!

How do you get grease off bearings – solvent? And then what should I be looking for – how will I know they are OK or need replacing? Will they be in some form of ‘races’ or will they be like the vespa – individual ball bearings which sit in a cup arrangement? (Ha – wasn’t that a surprise as the damned things all fell out and rolled across the garage floor – all 20 of them!!)

How do you get grease into race bearings – I have no idea do I! Um – maybe the desire to do everything and be self sufficient in maintenance – whilst a laudable ambition may be a bit unrealistic. I’m not the most mechanically minded person on the planet......and that’s why we have the Tamar Trailer Centre 500m down the road from where I live – maybe it would just be simpler to call in there and get them to do it – although that costs money which is tight at the best of times.

So the idea that I might try and service my own tohatsu 3.5hp outboard.........seems just as ridiculous doesn’t it......um!

I think I’ll stick to the wooden bits.........Dad...how good are you at trailer bearings?

Steve

4 comments:

robert.ditterich said...

They are a bit daunting when there is no hands on help around. I've had to learn about bearings pretty much on my own, so probably my advice would be a bit home-spun....but I have a spare set for the trailer, and some extra grease, so that if anything should go awry on a trip, I can replace the old ones.
During a long trip, whenever we stop for a drink or a nibble, I just put my hand on each hub to see if their is any heat in it. This is a really useful preventative measure because undue heat will indicate friction, and that is not supposed to happen in hubs!
'Bearing buddies' are good little caps that cover the hub and they have a grease nipple in them so you can easily ensure that the bearing housing is stuffed with grease and that has to be a help...

When packing new bearings with grease it is important to really impregnate them before fitting into their housings. I generally take a large dollop of grease into my palm, and (while slowly working around the bearing) slap the bearing into the dollop to force it into all the nooks and crannies, until you just can't get any more in there and both hands are totally covered and you wonder if you'll ever be allowed inside the house again, and the phone rings etc
Good luck

steve said...

i only make short journeys towing her although this year I might to try and head for the Lake district - so the tip about carrying spares is a point well made; the other advice is spot on as always....I think having chewed on this during the night (I'm a fitful sleeper)....that I'm pretty sure I'll head for the tamar trauker centre and get them to do it - but the idea of fitting the hub caps with the nipple on so I can squirt grease in everyso often - is an excellent suggestion........thanks Rob - much appreciated.......and loved your last post about the calf - wonderful writing
Steve

Anonymous said...

Steve
If your trailer bearings are anything like my car bearings i advise taking the trailer to a garage and getting them to fit new ones. It is possible to fit grease nipples to the caps but do not 'pump' the grease gun too heavily or the cap may be forced off! Means removing excess grease and refitting the caps. Messy - ugh! Special tools? The bearing / housings are pre packed with grease when new and are pressed into the wheel hubs (brake disks / hubs if braked?). Should be pressed in (and out) with a hydraulic press to avoid shocks from a lump hammer but are frequently hammered out /in with a suitable size socker spanner too. No wonder bearings sometimes fail quickly!
Hope this helps.
Dad

steve said...

yo dad!
and there I was hoping you might rescue me - I'd already decided to head for the trailer centre - it's on the to do list but thanks for advice
say hi to mum!
your eldest son!