Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Wednesday 12 May 2010

Refitting Arwen for this seasons' sailing

I've been busy writing lists of things to do when Arwen gets back from QAB marina this weekend.

1. sort out the trailer
  • pump up tyres
  • WD40 all rollers
  • grease the axles
  • repair the one front roller which has slipped slightly
2. fit a tiller extension
3. simply the big hatch fitting system at front bulkhead - its too time consuming to open at present because I used six wing nuts (don't ask me why I have no idea why I was that stupid)
4. fit some flat plywood floor boards to area forward on centre thwarts
5. sand and repaint over the dings and scratches
6. deks oljie the rear cockpit gratings
7. simplify the tiller control system to a piece of string and two side cleats
8. redo the safety harness rope attachments. I think I'm going for a 6 or 7m of rope attached to my harness affair; which is secured to the area forward of the centre case so that i can easily move about the boat which out detaching myself
9. alter cleats for jib sheets - so that when single handed sailing - each sheet comes through coaming to centre of cockpit just at rear of centrecase
10. sort out bits and pieces tub which I carry - it has spare deck hardware, screws, sealant etc

Then I want to sort out what's in the grab bag and get that right. I've altered the way that the mast and booms are carried in the boat whilst moving between shore and home. i built several uprights with carved cross pieces to take the various booms and masts. They are secured to cross-pieces with elastic bungee cord. It's made them securer and quicker to unpack on arrival.

I recently sorted the rigging adding simple lazy jacks that also operate as a topping lift and that has made lowering the sail much more controllable and neater - less dangerous too!

No comments: