Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Sunday 23 May 2010

old photographs

One of the very first boats  built
From scratch from CLC plans

I've been clearing up some of my files on my hard drive and came across this........one of the very first boats I built. I got the plans for a CLC 16 a long time ago.....I tried to find them but I have put them somewhere safe! Anyway, I learned heaps building this one...how to use epoxy; how to draw out plans etc. There were some hiccups....who will forget the moment when I discovered at the point of stitching up all the sides that I had managed to create two left hand sides...long story....not worth sharing but suffice to say on one set of planks I glued a gunnel the wrong side......Haha!


Sorry, I can't remember where I found this image

It has always been a tradition of mine to burn artwork into each boat. These pictures ended up going around the deck sides. I found some art work on the Internet and then sort of amalgamated bits and pieces on the boat. My theme was Inuit for this kayak. I can't find my sketches and so can't at this moment say whose artwork I used but I will dig them out from the basement next time I'm down there - |I'm pretty sure I wrote down the names of the artists and the websites because their work so impressed me...so bear with me for a bit on this one.


One of my favourites - took me ages to work out

I sketch out the artwork several times before committing it to the deck in pencil; then I play around with it until I'm happy. Then comes the nerve racking bit - burning it in! Calls for nerves of steel - one wrong move and it can be ruined and you can't correct the mistake. It doesn't always go my way - the mermaid below on one of the hatches...looks like she's sat on something very painful! 


It's so frustrating......everything perfect except the face!

Anyway, there we go a little trip down memory lane. The boat was eventually sold to make way for a new one, to a man who uses it on the canals around Bradford in Northern England.

Steve


No comments: